Doggerel for Elevenses (and beyond)

Be grateful for your day’s first tea;
That English Breakfast cup,
Which starts your day with strength and flair,
and inspires getting up.

Be grateful for that Lover’s Leap
beside you in the car;
that fills the empty spot that stirs,

Be grateful for that nice Earl Grey,
aside that sticky bun;
There’s all that work behind you,
But lunch is not ’til one.

Be grateful for that strong Assam
to complement that steak.
Yesterday’s Coke and salad?
-A lamentable mistake.

Be grateful for that Bi Luo Chun
you’re sharing with a  friend,
to bridge the gap from long-gone lunch
and the work-day’s weary end.

Be grateful for that sweet Sow Mee
Before dinner’s washing up;
Capacity is nearly reached-
So just another cup.

Be grateful for that Darjeeling;
In front of the TV,
Relaxing with a fragrant cup
And a Hob Nob (or three).

Be grateful for that minty green,
That perches by your bed,
As sleep that needs sleeping
Fights with books that should be read.

Be grateful….. zzz …zzz….zzz

Profile photo of Robert Godden

Robert Godden

Certified Tea Nutter. Blender. Author of "The Infusiast" and Tea "Stories"
Profile photo of Robert Godden

Latest posts by Robert Godden (see all)

1. *snaps fingers repeatedly*

2. Profile photo of iheartteas iheartteas says:

How wonderful. :). Also, love the pictures.

• That’s our Special Earl Grey, styled by @ladydevotea. She did such an amazing job on that shoot that she now has work with the photographer as a photo stylist.

3. TeaMoment says:

This is my first encounter with your poetic stylings. I’m speechless – in the good kind of way.

4. agiftoftea says:

Such a nice treat to end my long day. Paired with my cup of Zealong what more could I ask for.

5. Profile photo of Xavier Xavier says:

Nice apart the mighty green.

6. Profile photo of Jackie Jackie says:

I wanted to stop banging on about what great stuff you produce; posts, teas, etc. but you force me to continue. Amazing poem, showing us a beautiful side of yours that we don’t often see while you’re wielding imaginary flame throwers. Only one thing, and here I agree with @xavier, I am not grateful for any minty greens. Even though you have one in your repertoire. Which I’m sure is excellent. Just ask @peter .

7. Katrina says:

I’m surprised you didn’t post this later in the week to ensure your place in the ladies’ G+ tea salon. We might forget by then.

It really is quite lovely. So many talents you have.

8. My place in the weekly Ladies tea salon is beyond dispute! Every week.

9. Profile photo of Jackie Jackie says:

We actually call you our “lycra-lyrical Lady Lover”

• Profile photo of iheartteas iheartteas says:

Oh @Jackie I can’t believe you said that. You know he may just discover the shrine we have all built him in our homes covered in Lycra. He may find out our Thursday conversations are just about worshipping our Lycra Man. LOL :) I’m going to have to wash my mouth with soap after that comment. No worries I make mine own and it’s tea-inspired so I know it’ll be awesome and I’ll be fresh as first flush when I’m done. :)

10. Profile photo of Jackie Jackie says:

Perhaps that’s an idea @iheartteas? A “first flush Darjeeling” mouthwash to give the user the breath of a budding tea plant in the first spring rain? Did your course cover that too?
    @thedevotea – each one of us has our own version of the lycra man. Rachel for example uses a “GI Joe” dolly covered in her finest stocking.

Comments are closed.

Search This Blog

You Know You Want It, Baby!

After reading this blog, you'll no doubt have a thirst for our fine tea blends. Click here if you're in the USA, click here if you are in Australia, and your best option is to move countries if you are neither.

The Devotea on Facebook

The Devotea on Instagram

Missing a Picture?

Due to an attack on the host of this blog a while ago, many pictures have been lost. If you come across a missing picture, use your imagination. I have faith in you to recreate it perfectly in your mind.

Tea Bloggers Roundtable Logo Final